You may have heard the term “sebum” while reading up on skin care products and wondered exactly what it is, where it comes from, and how to deal with it?
We all have sebaceous glands in our skin. These microscopic glands produce the oil that your skin emits. And although these glands are all over the body, there is a much larger quantity on your face than other body parts. It is also secreted in large quantities on the scalp, and since some experience more production of sebum than others, these people generally tend to have more oily or greasy hair from this excess production.
While a normal level of sebum is natural and good for us – as it protects and lubricates the skin – when sebum is overproduced from the glands on the face excess oil is created that can clog pores, which is how acne and pimples are formed. Follow these simple tips to help regulate your skins oil production and prevent breakouts.
- Be sure to cleanse your face at least twice a day, using the right cleanser that is specialized to control oil.
- Exfoliate to get rid of dead skin cells, which also clog pores and cause pimples
- Moisturize with an oil controlling moisturizer
- Use a toner, which will help get rid of excess oil after cleansing
- Several times a week, use a face mask product that is recommended for oily skin
- If you wear face makeup, use oil-free products, products that are made to mattify the face (face primers and oil-control powders), and don’t overdo it on the face makeup.
- Change your face towels often, as bacteria can build up on them, and you don’t want to be drying your clean face with a bacteria-ridden towel.
- Watch your diet – if you eat a lot of fatty foods, this could be a reason for excess sebum production. Limit these foods and be sure to drink a lot of water.
gloTherapeutics has several products recommended to help control oily skin.
This balancing antibacterial tonic uses strong antioxidant effects, Blue Agave Extract (conditions and soothes), Totarol (antibacterial and antimicrobial properties), fruit and plant extracts that protect, repair, strengthen capillaries, and contain anti-inflammatory properties). After cleansing skin, apply tonic to a cotton pad and gently wipe over face.
gloPurifying Gel Cleanser
This gentle cleanser uses salicylic acid, glycerin, and yucca extract to deeply cleanse pores, prevent acne, protect, and soothe skin. Works on a wide variety of skin types helping regulate your skin while cleansing.
gloPurifying Oil Control Emulsion
A lightweight emulsion that combines antioxidants, antibacterial agents and humectants that mattify the skin and add slight hydration. Apply this emulsion to skin after cleansing and toning.
It uses some major and effective ingredients including:
- Hyaluronic Acid: This natural component provides water-binding properties to aid in skin moisturization.
- Allantoin: This anti-inflammatory ingredient assists with healing and moisturizing
- D-cholic Acid: This reduces sebum and improves absorption of other actives
- Totarol: This natural antioxidant botanical has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties
gloTherapeutic Oil Free Moisturizer
This oil free moisturizer uses botanicals, vitamins, algae extract, and malachite extract (a hydrated copper carbonate that increases the amount of collagen in the skin), to moisturizer and balance the skin. Replenishing skin, leaving a silky smooth finish.
Using the right products in combination with these skin care suggestions should help take care of oily skin and work to help prevent additional excess oil production.