Maybe you hit the gym before work? Or maybe you go on a Saturday morning before you run errands? Sometimes we aren’t able to head straight home right after a workout. We have things to do and places to go, but our skin shouldn’t have to suffer from bacteria-ridden sweat and germ-ridden gym machines.
Germs and excess oil greatly increase your chance of acne and breakouts. Here are some tips to ensure you are taking the best care of your skin after your workout.
• Take a cool shower and be sure to use a body wash that thoroughly cleanses. Try Dermalogica’s Conditioning Body Wash – it uses Tea Tree, Lemon, Eucalyptus and Rosemary to soothe and gently purify without stripping skin’s own natural moisturizers.
• Wash your face with a cleanser and cool water (cool water will help to close your pores faster, which will prevent dirt from settling in). Dermalogica’s Essential Cleansing Solution gently removes dirt and impurities, while the Natural Oils and Vitamins leave skin hydrated, soft and refined. **Even if you participated in a casual workout such as walking or yoga, where you don’t “feel” like you sweat at all, it is still VERY important to cleanser your face after any type of activity. (Dirt in the air still collects on your skin, even if you don’t feel it.)
Also, you do not have to completely dry your skin – leave some moisture to avoid skin feeling dry and tight, and this will make it easier for your skin to absorb your moisturizer.
You can also use Dermalogica’s Skin Purifying Wipes for a great cleanse on-the-go.
• Use a lightweight moisturizer with hydrating properties to replenish skin (it can also have anti-aging, oil-free, etc… properties, depending on your skin’s needs). Dermalogica’s Active Moist Moisturizer is an oil-free formulation that helps fend of dryness and wrinkles and keep skin healthy and hydrated.
Save any hardcore medicinal or acne fighting products to apply at night before bed, rather than during the day.
• Whoever invented dry shampoo is a genius! Dry shampoo soaks up excess oil from the scalp. Spray this lightweight product onto your scalp from about 12-inches away, and massage it in to give hair a lifted, refreshed, oil-free look.
• Be sure to apply deodorant before workouts and after showering. Try Dermalogica’s Environmental Control Deodorant. It’s free of alcohol to avoid drying out underarm skin.
• If you are exercising outdoors (swimming, sports, running, etc…) SPF is a must! Take a look at Dermalogica’s Sun Defense products to find the best fit for your skin and your sun protection needs – they even have handy SPF 15 wipes, perfect to toss in your gym bag!
• Try your best to AVOID wearing makeup while working out. If you are coming from somewhere else, remove your makeup with Dermalogica’s Skin Purifying Wipes. Rising body temperature and sweating will cause makeup to seep further down in your pores, making it harder to combat blackheads and pimples.
• Keep a light, refreshing body spray in your gym bag to spritz yourself with to finish off your workout primping.
With these easy tips, you can give your skin the best post-workout treatment and avoid stubborn breakouts.