With all the stresses of life, it’s important to treat yourself on a daily or weekly basis – even if it’s with small and inexpensive things. Stress can take a huge toll on your body and mind, including skin, nail, and hair problems, as well as contribute to anxiety and depression. Stress itself can trigger or increase the severity of skin irritations including rosacea and psoriasis. And can cause hives, blisters, dermatitis, and break down the skins’ barrier, causing further dehydration.
Each individual’s skin might react differently to stress. Sometimes oil is overproduced, pores become clogged, and skin is prone to acne and inflammation. Other times, skin becomes overly dry, itchy, flaky, red, and under nourished. Stress can also weaken your immune system, making you much more susceptible to getting sick.
Learn some little tricks and techniques to avoid succumbing to stress.
- Meditate – For thousands of years, yoga has been used as a form of stress-management and to improve your physical well-being. It relaxes the body, lowers heart rates, reduces anxiety and muscle tension, and helps you sleep better.
- Take baths – Taking a bath creates a relaxing atmosphere, while muscles are able to soak and loosen up. Use aromatherapy soaps, oils, and candles to trigger different relaxing moods (lavender, peppermint, rosemary, vanilla, and cinnamon are popular and effective scents). Try your best not to think about stressful things like work, errands, or any other causes of stress during this time.
- Sports or exercise – Playing a sport or working out at the gym is one of the best ways to release stress. Lifting weights, running, or playing a physical sport releases endorphins and gives you energy. Typically after a workout, you feel re-energized and rejuvenated for the rest of the day.
- Spend time with friends – Schedule weekly dates with friends for dinner, drinks, movies – whatever you enjoy. This gives you time to laugh, and have fun!
- Take yourself weekly or bi-weekly to get manicures and pedicures
- Go to the hair salon just for a shampoo/blow-dry for a little pampering
- Order a variety of things from your favorite take-out place – including dessert!
- Enjoy some peace and quite time with a book or magazine
- Do some retail therapy! Head to your favorite stores and splurge on something special.
Pamper your skin
- gloTherapeutics’ Moisture Rich Cream restores and repairs skin with nutrient-rich, ultra hydrating ingredients. It uses wheat germ, milk thistle, primrose oil, vitamin E and chamomile, to protect against free radicals and photoagining, hydrate and moisturize, and soothe and restore.
- gloTherapeutics’ Luxury Hand Cream is a luxurious cream formulated with Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Butter and Sunflower Seed Oil. These nourishing botanicals deeply hydrate, heal and moisturize hands, while protecting them from environmental damage.
- gloTherapeutics’ Restorative Cream delivers moisture and skin-strengthening antioxidants to protect and repair excessively dry, dehydrated skin.