You’ve probably heard the term “antioxidant” before – maybe on the labels of your favorite face creams and lotions, or perhaps juices and smoothies. But, what are antioxidants exactly?
Well, lets start with the oxidation process – a chain reaction when electrons in your body change states – which occurs naturally as a process of our body’s metabolism and immune defense. This chain reaction can produce free radicals (a term you also might have heard used when it comes to skin care). Free radicals are molecules that are highly charged, and are actually harmful and damaging to the skin and body, and which actively deplete other healthy cells in your body .
Herein lies the importance of antioxidants. These destructive free radicals are usually neutralized by antioxidants, such as vitamins. Which is why it’s important to load up your body and skin with antioxidants. While you can always treat your skin with antioxidant-rich foods and products, the best solution to preventing free radicals is to prevent them in the first place. We can decrease free radicals, by reducing excessive sun exposure, reducing toxins or radiation exposure, decreasing stress, and avoiding cigarettes and excessive eating which can lead to obesity.
A wide variety of popular foods have a high level of antioxidants, and can help in the fight against free radicals.
Fruits and vegetables including cantaloupe, peaches, apricots, carrots, tomatoes, carrots, concord grapes, cranberries, pomegranate, blueberries, grapefruit, dark green vegetables including broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, spinach, and even soy and red wine!
If you’re wondering what products are rich in antioxidants to help rid your skin and body of free radicals, here are some effective choices:
GloTherapeutics’ 15% Vitamin C Serum is the perfect product. It contains a high percentage of Vitamin C, which visibly transforms skin’s clarity and reduces the appearance of fine lines. The antioxidants and minerals in this formula defend your skin from free radical damage and the damaging results it can have.
GloTherapeutics’ Conditioning Hydration Cream not only hydrates skin, but it strengthens and fortifies dry skin with its antioxidant-rich blend of moisturizing ingredients. This perfect skin cocktail uses beneficial ingredients such as:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – a potent antioxidant that defends against free radicals
- Collagen – helps physically support skin and enhance elasticity
- Soy Isoflavones – antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties and protect from damaging environmental factors
- Retinyl Palmitate – stimulates the production of epidermal protein, and reduces fine lines while conditioning
- D-beta-fructan – conditions and helps to retain moisture
- D-beta-glucosamine – alleviates skin dryness and facilitates exfoliation
GloTherapeutics’ Conditioning Milk Cleanser is chock-full of effective and healthy-skin ingredients including:
- Jojoba Oil – a natural ingredient that calms and soothes the skin
- Shea Butter – moisturizing emollient that regenerates the skin
- Safflower Oil – hydrating emollient with skin moisturizing properties
- Rose Hip Seed Oil – concentrated and fatty acids and is a soothing emollient, an effective healing agent.
- Hyaluronic Acid – supports water retention by holding up to 1,000 times its weight in water (a great anti-aging ingredient!)
- Grape Seed Extract – a powerful antioxidant with protective and repairative properties
If you still don’t think your body is getting enough antioxidants, there are also supplements you can take, to ensure your body is getting an effective dose.